Crispy Fried Onion Rings
3 onions cut into (1/2 inch) thick (outer rings are better)
1/4 cup flour
1/2 t salt and pepper
1/2 t smoked paprika
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup + 2 T flour (6 T)
1/4 t smoked paprika, salt, and pepper (I wanted some of the flavor in the batter too)
about 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
olive oil spray
1. Pre-heat your oven to 230°C/ 450°F.
2. You need to get all your elements prepared in advance and set up a small production line. Things can get quite messy, so keep things close together.
3. Mix the dusting ingredients and put in a bowl.
4. Mix the batter ingredients together with a whisk (it should be the consistency of pancake batter or thick cream) and set aside in another bowl.
5. Spread the crumb out on a flat plate or tray.
6. Line a couple of large baking trays with silicone baking paper — nothing and I mean nothing sticks to this. Or use baking paper: in which case, spray the sheets lightly with olive oil cooking spray, or brush lightly with oil to prevent sticking.
7. Now toss your onion rings in the seasoned flour, dip quickly into the batter, shaking off any excess, and roll quickly in the crumbs to coat. Place them on the baking tray keeping them separate.
8. In a large pot have your oil hot at 375°F and begin to gently fry until crispy. Remove from pot and place on paper towels, platter up, and serve to your guests.
1/2 cup crème fraiche
1/4 cup of your favorite mayo
2 T very finely chopped green/spring onions
1/2 – 1 T finely chopped roasted and peeled jalapeño (depending how hot you like it)
Salt and loads of freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Mix all of the above together and dip away. This can also be made in advance.
Photograph: August Dering