We recently teamed up with actress Jessica Biel to design a dream holiday room and discovered that not only is she a reservoir of interior design inspiration, she’s also quite the hostess. “Lots of people, games, drinks, and baked goods,” are essential to making a home inviting for the holidays, Jessica tells us. And, she jokes, “My favorite tradition is eating so much that I pass out.” Year after year, Jessica returns to her a favorite specialty of her great grandmother Frances: cranberry ice. “It’s what we have during the holidays in place of cranberry sauce,” she says. “It is also an amazing palette cleanser in between courses.” Read on for the recipe.
1 package of cranberries
3 cups of sugar
1. Place cranberries in a medium saucepan and cover well with water, about two or three quarts. Boil until tender.
3. Discard the cranberry seeds and return the pulpy liquid to the saucepan.
4. Add sugar (use less if you don’t want it real sweet).
5. Juice three lemons and add to the pan.
6. Heat until sugar is well dissolved.
7. Place in a sealed container and freeze until well-frozen.
8. Remove the cranberry ice from the freezer and beat until the color lightens.
9. Return to freezer until ready to serve.
10. Garnish with a sprig of mint or a peel of lemon, if you like.
Cranberry Ice Photograph: Courtesy of Wonky Wonderful