If it’s true that half of life is spent in bed, than the nightstand is perhaps the most important element of décor in the home. By your side through the night, it plays host to all that makes you comfortable. From proper lighting to the perfect scent, here are six items to make all your bedside dreams come true. Plus, three shop-able groupings to pair your personality with.
1. Find a New Bedside Buddy: Ok, maybe that’s obvious, but a new nightstand can really change your whole bedroom, especially when styled correctly. Look for one that encompasses the look you are going for in the bedroom, as a nightstand is the perfect item to build around.
2. Light it Up: Whether you choose a swing-arm sconce (good for reading) or a trad table lamp, lighting will set the right mood. If possible, match the metal finish of the light fixture to that of the nightstand (brass lamps match brass drawer hardware).
|Palms Two Drawer Table, $1095, Jayson Home||Anette Swing Arm Sconce, $440, Circa Lighting||Blue & White Porcelain Box, $24, High Street Market|
|Newgate Covent Garden Alarm Clock, $35, West Elm||Diptyque Roses Candle, From $30, Nordstrom||Darling Magazine Issue No. 7, $20, Anthropologie|
3. Store Stylishly: Even if your nightstand has drawers, some tabletop storage is always a good idea. Stow away your jewels, sleep-aids, or even late night snacks; whatever gets you through the night.
4. Wake Up! Although most of us set an alarm on our phone, using a real-deal alarm clock is far superior. Not only is it nicer to look at, but it also won’t send you late-night emails.
|Selje Nightstand, $30, Ikea||Juniper Design’s Thin Lamp, $395, A+R Store||Mirrored Jewelry Box, $39, West Elm|
|Bell Alarm Clock, $65, A+R Store||Grapefruit Pop Candle, $38, Jonathan Adler||Instructions For Happiness And Success By Susie Pearl, $17, Urban Outfitters|
5. Scent the Space: As you are drifting off to sleep, make sure you’re sniffin’ sweetly scented air. A candle is also good to have on hand when romance is in the air.
6. Well Read: No nightstand is complete without some reading material. Especially when that material is as decorative as it is informative.
|Redford House Bennett Nightstand, $913, Layla Grace||Demeter Gold Wheat Lamp, $279, Charlotte & Ivy||Parquet Boxes, $78, Jayson Home|
|Sprint Alarm Clock, $45, West Elm||Dude No. 1 Candle, $48, MCMC Fragrances||All the Buildings in New York, $20, Anthropologie|
What do you need on your nightstand? Tell us in the comments below…
Photography: Max Kim-Bee