12 carrots (one bunch)
1 tablespoon harissa
1 cup chickpeas, dried or from the can and drained and rinsed
1/4 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon mint, finely chopped
1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
1. If using dried chickpeas, put in a pot of water with two cups of water, a garlic clove, a sprig of rosemary, and a big pinch of salt, cover, and bring to a boil. Cook for 20 minutes, then turn off the heat and let them sit for 2 hours. You want them to be tender. Drain and reserve the chickpeas.
2. Pre heat oven to 425F
3. Peel and quarter the carrots, and completely dry off the chickpeas.
4. In a bowl, combine the olive oil, harissa, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add the carrots and chickpeas, coating with your hands.
5. Pour the carrots and chickpeas onto a rimmed baking sheet, and spread out so that nothing is overlapping. Roast for 15 minutes, flip, and roast for another 15-20 minutes. You want the carrots to be caramelized.
6. Toss the carrots and chickpeas with the mint and parsley, and serve hot or room temp.
Photograph: Claire Thomas